Korean Citizenship for Marriage Immigrants

When I applied for my Korean citizenship, the dual citizenship law has not even been drafted. I arrived in Korea in August 2003 and we applied for my citizenship in October 2005, before I had my son. A year later, immigration officials visited us and I had my interview. I received the letter from the MOJ confirming my naturalization in September 2007. I had to denounce my Filipino citizenship then. Now, new applicants won’t need to denounce their nationality to acquire Korean citizenship if dual citizenship is allowed in their home country (like in the Philippines). From that time I lodged in my application, the list of requirements for citizenship has changed a few times.
There is a new list of revision and it’s easier to apply now since there are less documents required.

The following is the information on changes in the visa extension, citizenship and naturalization application system of marriage immigrants:
Qualifications: Spouse of a Korean citizen (Type of visa: F-6)
The same criteria is applied to F2 visa holders whose visa has been issued before December 23, 2011.
* Revised provision: Abolishment of the requirement for submission of the certificate of personal status (valid from December 23, 2011)
* Documents to be submitted: Application for visa extension, certificate of marital relations (certificate of marriage) and certificate of family relations
Qualifications: Spouse of a Korean citizen
Accompaniment of Korean spouse is not required.
* It is recommended that the Korean spouse accompany the applicant at point of application for naturalization approval, but a marriage immigrant may submit the application without the Korean spouse.
* If the Korean spouse does not accompany the applicant, a review will be conducted on whether the applicant has maintained normal marital relations with his or her spouse after the application for naturalization is accepted.
* Revised Provision: Abolishment of the requirement for submission of the written confirmation of the personal status of a marriage immigrant (valid from July 1, 2011) and the requirement for submission of the document guaranteeing the personal status of a Korean spouse
* Documents to be submitted: Application for naturalization, evidence of the status of an alien, copy of the alien registration card, certificate of immigration records and certificate of the bank balance
Qualifications: F-6 visa holder who has lived in Korea for two years or longer
* Revised provision: Abolishment of the requirement for submission of the document guaranteeing the personal status (valid from August 1, 2012)
* Documents to be submitted: Police record check issued by a competent authority in the marriage immigrant’s nation and certificate of completion of KIIP or TOPIK (applicable to some children of marriage immigrants and native Koreans who are minors) (Optional until July 31, 2013)

I copied the information above from the Autumn 2012 issue of Rainbow Magazine that was given to me by my son’s counselor. Instead of applying for the F-5 or Permanent Residence visa, just apply for Korean Citizenship. That was the advise to one of my friends here in Korea.
* Originally posted on December 13, 2012


  1. hello po,good day maam.magtatanong lng po kung kami o ako ba mismo ang mag file for visa processing kasi po isa po akong applicant for korea direct hired at may recruiter kami.tanong ko lang po kung meron bang ALLAN PACLIBAR na nagpa process sa visa namin po.sabi kasi nya april 18,2013 na ang punta namin sa korea.gusto ko lang po na malaman kung meron ba ang pangalan ko jan po.salamat po!maghintay po ako sa sagot mo maam.

    1. Hi Jennalyn! Depende sa klase ng trabaho, pero hindi nagdi-direct hire ang Korea maliban na lang kung ang trabaho ay “specialized” gaya ng mga engineers at sakop ng E-7 visa. Anong klaseng trabaho ang pinasukan mo sa Korea? Kung para sa factory, walang direct hiring at dapat dumaan sa POEA.

    2. Hi Ms. Jennalyn,
      If you were able to secure that purported employment in Korea with the help of a recruiter or an agent (other than the foreign employer himself), then you are not correctly referred to as a directly hired migrant worker. Directly hired migrant workers are, among others, only those who are able to secure overseas employment opportunity with an employer without the assistance or participation of any agent. In other words, you cannot be “directly hired” and at the same time have a recruiter.
      Hindi po maaari na ang ang isang “direct-hire” ay mayroon ding “recruiter”.
      But assuming (for purposes of clarification) that you were directly hired, you have to understand that EVEN the process of direct hiring of workers by foreign employers for overseas employment, STILL has to be authorized by the DOLE Secretary and processed by the POEA (R.A. 8042 Migrant Workers and Overseas Filipinos Act, as amended by R.A. 10022 and its Implementing Rules). In other words, whether you were hired through an agent, or directly hired by the foreign employer himself, either way, you still have to somehow pass through the POEA. Otherwise, your purported hiring was illegal.
      Kung hindi po kayo dumaan sa POEA sa anumang antas ng proseso, kahit na po na sabihin na kayo ay “direct-hire,” maaari po na ang paraan ng pagkakapasok ninyo sa trabahong iyon ay ilegal.
      I hope you find this information relevant 🙂

  2. Hello po ask ko lang if may idea kayo kung pwede mag apply ako ng F3 visa direct dito sa Korean Embassy sa Pinas o kailangan ko muna mag apply ng tourist visa and then change it later on pagdating ko sa Korea. E2 Visa holder po kasi husband ko dun. Ano po ba ang tama? Need po an answer ASAP kasi pupunta ako ng Manila 1st week ng MAy. Maraming Salamat po.

  3. I was once one of the many Filipinos who made their way to SK with F-21 Spouse Visa. That was July of last year. Well, its not difficult to process your visa anyway as long as you’ve got all your papers and fully authenticated. If you need more information just send me an email: pinoynetfarmer@gmail.com.

  4. hello good pm Ms. Betchay your site is really helpful and informative ^^
    ask ko lang po if I would still need to apply for a spousal visa if my husband and I will just go to Korea for one week to visit his family for Chuseok this September…
    I was thinking that applying for a tourist visa would be easier, because I read that there is a 2 day CFO seminar and additional paperwork before applying for a spousal visa……
    or is it possible to apply for a visa as a housewife?I am currently not working because my husband advised me to take a break from work to focus on our new life together, and to allot more time for processing our papers and my visa, since we just got married this May ^
    I do hope that you could help me with this Ms. Betchay ^^ thank you so much ^^

  5. Hi ms.Betchay.i hope you can help me out.im a bit confused.I am married with a korean citizen and we have a daughter who was born here in the phil.we are planning to go to korea next year.My husband says he can process our daughter’s korean passport..Doesnt she need a phio.passport?i think our daughter 8s still a filipino citizen since she was birn here.pls. Help me out.thank you

    1. Hi Ping! Yes, your husband can process your daughter’s Korean passport. He only needs to register her as his legal daughter in the family documents. She is also a Filipino citizen because you’re still a Filipino when she was born. It would be easier for your daughter to travel if she has a Korean passport.

  6. hello po ask ko lng ung mga bagong requirements for korean national na magppkasal ng pinay doon sa pinas. Thank yoi.

Leave a Reply